Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Alternative To What, Consciousness?

The other day I noticed some printed material lying at the entrance to a local restaurant where I was preparing to eat lunch. Not having anything else to read I picked up a copy of what I first anticipated to be something similar to Wheels and Deals. It turns out to be some cheesy publication called The Bloomington Alternative. If I would have only known then what I know now I could have saved myself a half a roll of Rolaids and two Rheaban tablets. This publication is obviously distributed around downtown Bloomington for the purpose of spreading a special brand of liberal bias to subcultures within our community that subscribe to such reading. Scanning the various articles I quickly surmised that it contained nothing worthy of actually taking the time to read. Knowing that I dearly hate to throw anything away and since I do recycle, I determined that since this publication had little or no other value maybe it should be saved to wipe my backside in the unlikely event that I ran out of the commercially available product. After a brief contemplation of my options I come to the only logical conclusion. Knowing the content of the publication I decided that I really didn’t want to irritate that area of my anatomy either. With little remorse I finally put the paper where it rightfully belonged, in the trash.

From this day forward whenever I see one of these publications in a place of business where I frequent I will suggest to the owner / manager that I will not patronize a business that supports the distribution of this type of fallaciously biased material. Having scanned the various advertisers in the copy that I picked up I am also left with a whole host of businesses that I will not step a foot into now simply because of there support for this brand of political bile. Next time you see a copy lying around I suggest that you do the same.