Friday, July 15, 2005

Councilwoman Sophia Travis Clueless About 4-H

At Wednesday’s County Council budget presentation session the County Commissioners presented the Council with its 2006 budget, which included an increase in funding for the Monroe County 4-H program from $1,000 to $4,000. Commissioner Poling staunchly supported this increase in light of the huge increases in social service funding at the request of the Democrats on the County Council. Sophia Travis questioned the increase by asking if 4-H teaches kids “civic engagement”. What Hoosier doesn’t know what 4-H is about. 4-H chapters can be found in every state of the union, additionally 4-H related programs exist in over 80 other countries around the world. It solely exists to provide young people with opportunities to learn leadership, citizenship and life skills. With approximately seven million members across the US alone how does someone not know what 4-H does?

Councilwoman Travis could obviously use a lesson in the attributes of participating in 4-H. The 4H’s represent “Head”, “Heart”, “Hands” and “Health”. Expounding on that “My HEAD to clearer thinking”, “My HEART to greater loyalty”, My HANDS to larger service” and “My HEALTH to better living for my club, community, country and world”.

The National 4-H creed is as follows:I believe in 4-H Club work for the opportunity it will give me to become a useful citizen. I believe in the training of my HEAD for the power it will give me to think, to plan and to reason. I believe in the training of my HEART for the nobleness it will give me to become kind, sympathetic and true. I believe in the training of my HANDS for the ability it will give me to be helpful, useful and skillful. I believe in the training of my HEALTH for the strength it will give me to enjoy life, to resist disease, and to work efficiently. I believe in my country, my state, and my community, and in my responsibility for their development.

Some pretty famous people have been involved in 4-H including astronaut Alan Shepard, former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy-Onnasis and even the inventor of the internet and former Vice President Al Gore. It truly baffles me how a person gets elected to a public office in Monroe County that doesn’t understand the influence 4-H has had on so many of its citizens. The reason she probably doesn’t know anything about 4-H is that she is completely oblivious that programs actually exist that are virtually self-sufficient and still provide an important community service. She is obviously only used to the social service agencies that have their hands out for tens of thousands of our tax dollars. If you happen to see Councilwoman Travis at the Monroe County Fair you might share your thoughts and experiences with her about 4-H, she obviously doesn’t have a clue!